
Today, I am feeling very domestic. These feelings come and GO pretty frequently for me. Sometimes, I'm like Betty Crocker cooking all our meals all week long and sometimes I'm like my Aunt Pam and ordering all our meals out. Every once in a while I start feeling like I should be living off the land, you know, the way our grandparents used to do it. Well, since today is one of those domestic days, I'm thinking of a new venture, CANNING. Now, I have never canned a thing in my life, but I know it has to be doable(is that a word?)because women have been doing it for centuries. So, now off I go looking for canning recipes and trying to decide what it is that I want to can. I'm thinking something along the lines of peach preserves. Well, off I go to buy mason jars, do any of you have a good canning recipe or any canning tips or suggestions...
Monday, August 11, 2008
I CAN I CAN
Posted by Mindy at 11:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I found your blog through a Ballinger Family post. I get the same way with wanting to live off of the land. Both my grandfathers were coal miners and my parents grew up in very large family fairly poor. Both families depended on the garden they tended and the small live stock they kept to eat. My grandmothers would bake bread and make pasta everyday, they both sewed, mended and repurposed old fabric into clothes -- All this without a washing machine, dish washer or a microwave.
I used to can with my grandma as child. I recall her telling me that canning fruit can be tricky because it bruises and browns easier than some vegetables such as green beans or peas. Making and canning salsa or pickles was always a big deal in her house.
Okay, mom laughed for like five minutes over the take-out thing! That's sooo true, but she made pancakes this morning, so she's on a roll :]
Girl, are you feeling well? hee hee...
No help on the fruit department. I have only canned green beans,pickles, salsa and put up corn.
Good luck! Make enough for us, btw. :)
Post a Comment