Saturday, June 21, 2008

TIME TO GET MYSELF TOGETHER

This weekend a very rare thing has happened, our kids went to Arkansas. This is not a usual thing. Since we moved to Dyersburg nearly 3 years ago we very rarely have anyone to babysit the kids, not that we don't have anyone, we just rarely ever leave them. They are with me 24/7 now that we homeschool and sometimes it can get overwhelming. It's kind of strange not having a bunch of kids running around. We never get a break just for ourselves to recooperate and get refreshed. So this has been a long time coming. I never realize how much different we are when the kids aren't here until we go somewhere and that's when it hits me. Tonight we went to our friends who just recently bought a new home and as I was sitting there I realized I was relaxed. I wasn't having to worry about them breaking anything, fighting, being loud, or anything. I could just enjoy myself. Don't get me wrong I love my kids and by tomorrow night I'll be ready for them to come home, but not right now. I like to spend time with John when the kids are gone. It's different, we are calmer and get along a whole lot better, not that we never get along, but it takes alot of paitence raising 4 children, not that they are terrible, they are just kids. We very rarely "disagree" when we are alone. I guess it's just that we can relax and focus more on ourselves, even if it is just for a couple of days. I know some people may find this horrible, but let me tell you, it does help. Sometimes you just need to find time for yourselves and let the kids visit Grandma for a few nights. They love it and you will too.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

We too have 3 boys and 1 girl! I agree with you totally! As parents we get so caught up in raising our children. It is important to take time just as a couple to refresh ourselves and our relationships to one another.