I have been looking through home school curriculum until my head could easily explode!
This year all of my kids will be in school, that means I will have a kindergartner, 2nd grader
(who will be doing 3rd grade work), 4th grader, and a 6th grader. I have pretty much got down
the curriculum that I like to use. I know that I love Easy Grammar for 3rd grade on. I know that I like ACE for Social Studies and Science, because of the Biblical teaching. I have been using Bob Jones spelling, but decided that I would give ACE another try with Word Building this year.
Now, Math is where my dilemma comes.....I have used ACE and do not like it, period. I do use it until 3rd grade, but after that it is dead to me! Then I move on to Saxon, which I loved for 4th and part of 5th grade with Evan, but towards the end of 5th grade it lost its luster to me. I almost feel guilty for saying this because lots of people have RAVE reviews of Saxon, btw, Saxon math is what I used in public school and I'm terrible at Math, which doesn't necessarily mean the curriculum is bad. I just don't have the knack for anything Math related.
Anyway, I was reading the Pioneer Woman's blog the other day and I think I may have found what I've been looking for! This post made my day. I started researching Teaching Textbooks and it just looks like what I need!!!! So, I ordered it and I'm waiting for it to come in. John and I both looked at it and decided this was an option we wanted to try. The only down fall so far is the cost, it's $150.00, but I look at it as an investment because I have 3 more kids after Evan who will be able to use it.
Those of us at the church who home school don't start our year until the Monday after Labor Day, even though our public school kids have already been going nearly a month now! How crazy!!! Wish me luck with this new program, it's not set in stone, if I don't like it, I can always try something else.
Pray for me and all the ones homeschooling this year. It's a big job and some days it gets very stressful, but I always remember that this is what God has called ME to do as a Mom, not everyone is called to do this.
I'll leave ya'll with a picture of the kids first day of school last year and when we start this year I'll post that one and compare how much they've grown and changed in the last 12 months!

2 comments:
$150.00??? *Insert bug eyes here* Don't ya just hate that?? I hope it's what you are looking for!
It's always a relief to have all the school stuff organized and ready to go....we start the 31st. Hhhhhh...lol!
Post a Comment